“Summer afternoon—summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language.”
― Henry James
Many people including myself would have to agree with those famous words from Mr. Henry James. Summertime is a special season and gives fitness enthusiasts many options on how they want to workout. With the beautiful summer sun in the sky it’s time to break out of the indoor gym and enjoy the great outdoors. Here are five summertime fitness tips:
1. Take advantage of the sunrise. Winter is cold and dark, especially in the mornings. In the summer use the early sunrise to get your workout in before you start your day. Working out in the morning will keep you away from the hard afternoon sun. Need a little push to get up with the sun? Think about all the time you’ll have when you get home from work if you’re not using one to two hours to workout. You’ll have time to enjoy a book, watch a baseball game, or cook a healthy meal!
2. Not an early riser? Maybe the only thing you want to do in the morning is eat your eggs and drink your coffee. Not to worry, with the late sunset you’ll be able to get your outdoor workout in well after you leave the office. Just like the morning you won’t get the full effect of the sun as it sinks down and says goodbye for the day.
3. Be sure to refuel after your workouts. With nice weather you might be spending more time outdoors and active. Make sure you recover properly from workouts, hikes, runs, etc. with a quality protein source. Adequate protein intake is important for everyone. The presence of protein at meals and in between meals can provide a satiating effect (feeling of fullness) and help support your strenuous workouts.
If you’re looking for a refreshing summer flavor try the limited edition GNC Pro Performance® 100% Whey Protein – Pina Colada flavor. If protein shakes aren’t your thing there are two great tasting summer seasonal GNC Pro Performance® Pro Crunch protein bar flavors – Strawberry Shortcake and Lemon Meringue Pie.
4. Make sure you stay hydrated. When you’re dehydrated, your body will not perform at its best. Make sure to keep hydrated by drinking fluids throughout the day, especially in the summer when you’ll be sweating more than other seasons.
5. Join a league. The summer is a great time to try a new sport with so many different outdoor leagues. Baseball, softball, soccer, volleyball, tennis, golf, etc. There are so many outdoor sports you can participate in you’ll never be bored when trying to stay active!