Fish oil has been in the news a lot lately. Whether you are new to omega-3 supplements or have been a long-time user, omega-3s have stood the test of time. Omega-3 fatty acids found in fish oil are the building blocks for cell membranes. These omega-3 essential fatty acids, EPA and DHA, can only be obtained through the diet. They impact all processes in the body, so their presence (or absence) impacts your overall health and well-being. As a neurosurgeon, triathlete, and GNC Medical Advisory Board member, I take an omega-3 supplement every day and recommend that every one of my patients does the same.* The importance in evaluating whether fish oil supplements are right for you should stand on scientific evidence. Check out how the facts stand for themselves.
The first published study highlighting the benefits of EPA and DHA dates back to 1971. Since then, thousands of studies have emerged, further supporting the safety and efficacy of fish oil. These recent supporting studies continue to substantiate the efficacy of fish oil:
- A landmark study involving 11,000 patients showed that essential nutrients—such as omega-3 fatty acids found in fish oil—play a critical role in supporting heart health
- A new groundbreaking study of 1,575 adults links omega-3 fatty acids to healthy brain function and aging^
Today, many health organizations recommend the consumption of omega-3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA).
Rest assured, the scientific support continues:
- Fish oil is clinically shown to support normal blood pressure and healthy triglyceride levels
- Clinical evidence suggests that fish oil helps support the body’s natural anti-inflammatory response
- Omega-3 fatty acids may help reduce the risk of coronary heart disease†
- Fish oil helps to support normal, healthy cholesterol levels
- EPA and DHA are essential nutrients necessary for optimal eye, brain, skin, and joint health
The average daily consumption of EPA and DHA is 0.1 to 0.2 grams, which is about 5 times lower than what health organizations recommend. Increasing daily intake of omega-3 fatty acids can be accomplished through both diet and supplementation.
The GNC Difference
When considering any nutritional supplement, quality is key. Look for fish oil formulas with omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA, potency clearly marked to ensure that you are getting the right amount for your needs. Purity is also important, so be sure that your formula has been purified to remove mercury and other toxins. About GNC’s fish oil:
- Our high-potency, research-based formulas provide up to 1,000mg of omega-3s in a single serving–300% the potency of regular fish oil
- The omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA help support healthy cholesterol and blood pressure levels
- Get superior support for heart, joint, brain, eye and skin health
There is nothing fishy about it. Omega-3 fatty acids have been proven time and time again to support your overall health goals. Confidence in your health comes from making the right dietary and lifestyle choices. Choose well.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
*Outside of those patients who have allergies or specific medical contraindications.
^A study of 1575 adults demonstrated that healthy levels of red blood cell (RBC) DHA and total DHA + EPA had improved health outcomes related to brain structure and function.
†Consumption of omega-3 fatty acids may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease. FDA evaluated the data and determined that, although there is scientific evidence supporting the claim, the evidence is not conclusive.